Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Just another day

All I got from the previous post on reddit was, basically, "LOL, utopia". Well, the question didn't get too far, and it hit the obvious obstacles.
Without bothering to go into the details I'll just go ahead and say that all current systems are utopias, just not very good ones. They all started from the desire to improve a previous system. We no longer live in the stone age, or in a feudal system, imperial Rome, or whatever. So it's not that utopias are impossible, it's just that the vast majority of the constituents of a system think that the system they live in is some sort of god-given, always-been-here reality, and not something men and women fought and died for in the past, that is to say nothing short of a full blown utopia.
I also went ahead and propositioned the telepathy/empathy thought experiment and most of the reactions were quite predictable in the realm of "OMFG, people will know my deepest darkest secrets, I should lie and make up all sorts of counter arguments rather than admitting that everyone will know the real me, hell, even I don't know the real me". Suffice to say that hypocrisy is here to stay and it won't go away, not even in an imagined world.

Anyway, since it's that time of the year (no, not that one, the other one) I should cast some hopes into the future.



Oh, and I also postulate that the question coming from the guy sitting in the chair is valid for no matter what time period.

No comments:

Post a Comment